Take a gander at my other blog----The Cookie Shoppe---for all your special occasions

Our Family........eternally ever after

12.11.2009

The True Spirit

I have had several reminders of the true spirit of Christmas within the last few days especially, and few weeks. Some of the expereinces were heart-breaking and some made me smile or almost cry in happiness.


Just before Thanksgiving the girls and I were at a grocery store getting a couple things. One of my biggest pet peeves about the season is the crowds and trying to get in and out of somewhere fast. Doesn't happen. Well, this particular day we were held up in an aisle waiting for a couple women to lift several heavy cases of soda into their cart. They had to wait for all the people in front of me to pass so they could get to them. I patiently waited (novel, for me) until they were done, thinking nothing of it. The ladies finished and looked at me saying, "You are the only one who smiled at us instead of grumbling. Thank you."


Do we forget in our rushing to be gracious and remember the real reason we are in the store in the first place? My night went so much more smoothly because I had chosen to be polite.


We received a Christmas card yesterday. Inside was an inscription that always makes me sad. "Merry Xmas" was written. I was thankful for the gesture and the card and for thinking of us. It just really bothers me when people cross out the entire reason we celebrate Christmas and forget HIM.


Am I truly remembering Christ and doing all I can to keep HIM in Christmas?


Today I had two experiences--one sweet, one terribly disturbing. Both conveyed a message and helped me to see the way we should be, especially around the holidays.


As I was running errands, I drove through a store parking lot and saw a homeless man. Very, very dirty and carrying about 10 plastic bags filled with who-knows-what in each hand. He stood at the fence looking over at the live Christmas trees and smiling gently. I thought to myself, "He can find something simple and beautiful to smile about at this time of year, even in his situation.


Do I keep Christmas simple and find joy in every circumstance?


The other was as I was leaving the same parking lot. I pulled up behind a small white car that was also turning out just in time to see the female driver of the car pointing and yelling at someone behind us. Her male partner in the car started yelling at her and then they started hitting each other as hard as they could. I honked trying to get them to get on with it and move. (not what I should have done) She finally pulled out and I watched as they swerved into a different lane to turn suddenly, then weaving around a bus and swerving around people to quickly pull into a parking lot, where I see the girl get out, chuck something at the man as hard as she could and then storm off, leaving him, the car and the 2 children in the backseat! I was just horrified knowing that the kids had to witness that and wondering how often that same scene happens at home and the kids have to watch.


How often do I let the craziness of life get the better of me and take it out on the people I love most and rob them of joy?


Please join me in celebrating the things that truly matter and Keep Christ in Christmas.

3 comments:

The Gooding Family said...

Beautiful post, Nora.

I cannot recall where I found or learned this, but I used to think the same thing about using "X" in place of Christ. "X" is actually the symbol for Christ, used many years ago. So, it's not like the are "crossing" HIM out, it's His symbol . Someone else reading this know otherwise?

Skinner Family said...

Hey Nora! I enjoyed your post. We hope you and your family are doing well. Have a great Christmas! Love the Skinners

falwyn said...

That's right, I heard that too - learned it in seminary I believe. The "X" is a letter of the greek alphabet, chi I believe, the first letter in the word Christ (which is Greek anyway). The early Christians (particularly in the Roman Empire) used X a lot in their clandestine communications as a symbol for Christ.

So that makes ME feel better about using it on my lists and calendars and such. Though obviously not everyone who uses it means it that way. Though it's a bit fun to think that they are still writing Christmas, they just don't know it! :)