Take a gander at my other blog----The Cookie Shoppe---for all your special occasions

Our Family........eternally ever after

9.19.2009

Wallflower


Last nite at our tri-ward family dance, I was inspired by *A*. She and our fellow car-pooler J-man have always had a torrid "love affair" since the first time they laid eyes on each other. So, we four parents of the two love-birds joked and joshed with the two of them to dance together. *A* finally went over and grabbed his hands. They lasted 3-4 dances. I was in awe as I watched her larger girl frame tower above him by almost a full head.
'Tis a girls' lot in life---to be taller than the boys at that age---and she is doubly cursed having me for a Mom.
But did that height difference stop her?
Nope.
And, what's worse, Bro. Mo. and I didn't dance even once. But I didn't mind.
Know why?
My girl-hood insecurities still haunt and plague me to this day--even when it comes to dancing with my own lover/hubby. For fear that I would appear taller than him. I even wore white satin bedroom slippers at our wedding, wanting to get the most out of the exact same height we share.
Why does this bother me so?
I don't know.
Cindy could tell you of the countless dances I refused to attend for the very reason that I was not going to be asked to dance. Even at EFY where my reputation had no merit.
I am to this day a die-hard wallflower.

3 comments:

Reina said...

One day I will get over my insecurities! I don't understand them but I will get rid of them. That is my goal this year to love me for me and get over it! It's easy to say hard to do. I hope one day you get over it too:)

falwyn said...

I hear you, lady. Nobody ever asked me to dance either. Seriously. I could pretty much count on one hand, my entire LIFE.

Jeremy and Cindy said...

Well, you didn't have a problem finding someone to marry you even without going to very many dances. Now you both can dance in private were you don't have to worry about anyone noticing the height difference, so get out those stilettos. ;)