Yesterday I visited the DIY Bag Lovers blog (link in my sidebar) and saw a cute, simple snack bag. I had an epiphony---that would be perfect for the twins when we are in the car. How many times have you had to run out the door before your toddler has had lunch or you are headed for a long car ride? Bro. Mo. and I don't really like having to hand two babies a snack over and over the entire ride. Plus, when its just you it is dangerous. So, I made a couple "Travel Snackies."
Elastic in the top just right for their little hands to reach in, but not quite big enough for a quick spill. And the handle hangs right from the front clasp on their carseat, so they are hands-free.
The material is just some scraps from this dress/pinafore set.
Heaven knows I have enough scraps. They fill this bin except for a small stash on top.
Will also need a 6" length of 1/4" or less elastic.
For the strap, fold each side into the middle.
Now fold in half so the sides meet and sew down the open edge.
Sew down the other side so the strap looks uniform and lays flat.
For one side of the bag, match right sides together of 1 accent (flowered) and one base(blue).
Stitch.
Repeat with another base piece on the other side of the accent.
Stitch.
This is what it should look like.
Repeat with other side of bag.
Now, you can either do the exact same thing and make a bag lining or you can serge the raw edges to save on material. This tutorial is tailored to serging.
Match sides right sides together and stitch in place.
Repeat with the other side and now you should have a tube.
To make the casing for the elastic, pick which side is your top or bottom and iron a 1/4" hem.
Turn under another 1/2" and stitch.
Don't forget to leave an opening to insert the elastic.
Insert elastic, pull to desired tightness and tie off or stitch elastic ends. Sew opening closed.
Turn under or serge ends of the strap.
Slightly overlap ends and stitch below the elastic casing.
Sew strap down again along top edge of the bag.
The bottom is tricky, and I still don't know exactly the right way to put a square bottom on a bag. (You could just sew a seam straight across the bottom of the bag, but your bag would not be very open at the base.) Fold the bag in half diagonally to make a square. Pin edges of bag to outside of square piece, right sides together, pinching corners to ease bottom on. Sew around edge and trim off excess.Just fill with a few of your toddler's favorite snacks, clip on their carseat, and you're good. And, you can just turn it inside-out and wash it if it gets messy.




























































1 comments:
You made a tutorial! I'm so terribly proud!!! :)
On the bottom of the bag - do you mean squaring like in these two bag tutorials? (I made myself a messenger bag, LINED, wait till I show you!)
http://www.supereggplant.com/archives/000216.html
http://mmmcrafts.blogspot.com/2009/06/basic-messenger-bag.html
Your bags are adorable, btw.
Post a Comment